[coreboot] fixing i810 onboard vga

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Fri Nov 7 00:08:45 CET 2008

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 20:38:31 +0200, "Elia Yehuda" <z4ziggy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> im working at the on the i810, trying to fix the onboard-vga to work.
>
> removing the commented code of the vga-related stuff resulted with the
pci
> device to be displayed in the pci list on coreboot, but in a disabled
> state,
> and (as promised...) with the boot not executing the payload. complete
log
> can be shown here : http://pastebin.com/m20e821eb
>
> a few rough patches to my target and i82810/raminit.c and now the device
> is
> shown as enabled and i even get the information about the VGA allocating
> resources :
>
> Allocating VGA resource PCI: 00:01.0
> Setting PCI_BRIDGE_CTL_VGA for bridge PCI_DOMAIN: 0000
> Setting PCI_BRIDGE_CTL_VGA for bridge Root Device
>
> but the payload still wont execute (it is seems to be loaded though) and
> ofcourse, no VGA output, only serial, with a dead boot hanging...
> complete log can be shown here : http://pastebin.com/m248a41ea

I had this problem on the i830. You need to allocate vga memory for the
onboard vga (northbridge.c if I remember correctly). The vga memory should
be allocated to the TOM. So your total system memory actually equals
phisical memory - vga memory. It should be close to the i830, take a look
at that and compare it to the i810 datasheet. Hope that helps.

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org