[coreboot] Homemaid LPC flasher

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Fri Nov 7 01:04:05 CET 2008

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 00:48:02 +0100, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

>> Anyways, I am going to start a project based on a very simple and CHEAP
> LPC
>> flasher originally designed for the xbox.
>> http://rex.xbox-scene.com/LPC2/LPC2.html
>> I have a friend that has already tested this on fwh hubs (SST49LF008A to
> be
>> exact) and it worked great.
>> I have placed an order so the parts should be arriving soon. The
> downside
>> is the software is only for dos/win, but the software source code is
> also
>> available on the site. I think it would be pretty easy to convert it to
>> Linux. I am trying to get a hold of the original author for permission
>> release it under a GPL.
>>
>> My question to the coreboot community is…..
>> I have no problem hosting this project on my site, but would everyone
> like
>> me to incorporate this project into coreboot? If so is anyone interested
> in
>> helping?
>>

> Do we want to add support for this flasher to flashrom? In theory,
> reusing the abstraction model present since SPI could work well.

flashrom support would be very very cool :-)
The ability of flashrom flashing over LPC would greatly broaden it
horizons.
After I get it up and working, I also am going to do some testing with USB
to LPC adapters for those of you that don't have a LPC port. These adapters
can be found on eBay for pennies on the dollar (very cheap). I also plan on
powering the LPC flasher from USB.

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org