[coreboot] SeaBIOS question and cross compilation fix.

Jordan Crouse jordan at cosmicpenguin.net
Fri Nov 7 16:38:17 CET 2008

Peter Stuge wrote:
 > Jordan Crouse wrote:
 >> My main concern is that if seabios becomes a defacto mandatory
 >
 > I will protest very loudly against mandatory. It must be an option.

Its getting harder and harder to make it an option.  We are going to
have to deal with optionROMs - regardless what any of us think about
legacy software callbacks, we are not going to get very far unless we
can handle legacy ROMs easily and cleanly and make them available to the
payloads.  Thats a fact of life.  SeaBIOS is the best solution to this
problem that we have so far.  In my mind, that makes it mandatory.

 >> payload for coreboot, then having two separate projects to put
 >> together will be an undue burden on the builders.
 >
 > We already have this situation for coreboot+payload, and I think
 > buildrom solves that nicely.

 From the start, we have said that buildrom is not going to be required
to build coreboot, and I stand by that.  If our code is getting so
complex that it *requires* a build system to put it together, then we
need to step back and evaluate what we are doing.

 >> My thinking has always been that at the time when something becomes
 >> essential to the operation of coreboot, it should be merged into
 >> coreboot.
 >
 > I don't think that is neccessary when "it" is being phased out.

What is being phased out?  SeaBIOS?  Not from where I am standing.

Jordan