[coreboot] Resource allocation

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Nov 12 17:46:25 CET 2008

ron minnich wrote:
> > Dynamic superio probing only makes any sense to me if it can be used
> > verbatim on each and every superio
>
> yes, but having a single superio device structure in the static
> tree is what requires dynamic devices. We're not probing.
> We are actually just creating devices on demand. Those are two
> different things.

Right. Who knows what should be demanded? I would like the mainboard
dts to be the source.

> Plus, the weird thing on a superio: even if you don't want a
> function (e.g. serial) it's important to make sure you turn certain
> pnp functions off in some cases --
> so you may want that pnp function controlled, even if you do not
> use it.

Yes, that's why I think all functions of the chip should be listed
somewhere (superio dts) but the ones that actually are enabled
somewhere else (mainboard dts)..

> Remember the rule: one dts -> one device.

I tend to like one dts -> one chip. But as long as dtses can pull in
other dtses we both win.

..
> so we get a new dynamic device for each pnp function.
>
> Making one device for each pnp function, we will need one dts for
> each pnp function. This is very easy to do, although it will be a
> bit of work. But now is the time to do it if we want to do it. I am
> not convinced we want to do it.

It will end up being a lot of files, which is a little clumsy. I'd
like to roll it into one file..

I guess we've gone back and forth on this. I guess dtc is the
bottleneck because it only deals with one struct per input file?

> I'd rather put the effort into getting the k8 to work,

Or GeodeLX, C7, or Core2. There's plenty of unfinished stuff in v3
now. :) SCNR.

//Peter