[coreboot] Coreboot on Tyan S2892

Anose, Bijoy K (N-Aerotek) bijoy.k.anose at lmco.com
Wed Nov 12 22:29:41 CET 2008

> [...]
>
> Legacy mode SATA is where the SATA adapter responds to ATA commands.
> Nvidia's ck804 (on the s2892) doesn't support that.
>
> Because of that, you need something with a SATA driver to
> load your kernel.
> You could:
> 1. port a driver to FILO
> 2. Use LAB (linux kernel with the driver in your ROM)

I tried using LAB, but the LAB kernel build failed with what looked like
linker errors:

kernel/built-in.o: In function `getnstimeofday':
(.text+0x15491): undefined reference to `__umoddi3'
kernel/built-in.o: In function `do_gettimeofday':
(.text+0x1553c): undefined reference to `__udivdi3'
kernel/built-in.o: In function `do_gettimeofday':
(.text+0x1555f): undefined reference to `__umoddi3'
kernel/built-in.o: In function `update_wall_time':
(.text+0x15c55): undefined reference to `__udivdi3'
kernel/built-in.o: In function `update_wall_time':
(.text+0x15c7f): undefined reference to `__umoddi3'
make[1]: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

I highly doubt that the vanilla kernel from kernel.org had build issues,
so I'm guessing
one or more of the patches are suspect.

In case this turns out to be a dead end, what does porting a driver to
FILO involve?

> > The first ROM image I created painted some nice pinstripes on the
> > display after a warm reboot, and when I fully powered down and
started
> > again, I got a nice alternating tone from the PC speaker.  I'm
> > suspecting this has something to do with my payload.  Either it is
> > wrong entirely, or it needs additional configuration.
>
> Are you going to use the onboard video controller?  Did you
> include the VGA BIOS for it?

Ultimately, we would like to have VGA capability, but until I have basic
coreboot functionality
working, using the serial console will be just fine.  I thought the
buildrom config/build process
was going to take care of that, but I guess I was mistaken.  If I
understand correctly, leaving out
the ~36k chunk will still allow me to have all the core functionality,
just without VGA output..

Of course, when this is all done and working (crossing my fingers) I
won't be able to resist adding
that Tetris-like video game to the ROM.

> > Serial console output seems to indicate that basic coreboot
> > initialization was happening, but maybe never got to the
> point where
> > it could give me useful VGA output.
>
> Including the boot log once you decide which payload you want
> to use would help us track it down.

I will definitely do that, as soon as I can get a successful build
again.  :)  It built successfully
before, since I chose FILO as my payload, but now with LAB, I haven't
yet created a ROM image.

Thanks again for your patience and help.

-Bijoy