[coreboot] Coreboot on Tyan S2892

Anose, Bijoy K (N-Aerotek) bijoy.k.anose at lmco.com
Thu Nov 13 01:08:42 CET 2008

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 04:29:41PM -0500, Anose, Bijoy K
> (N-Aerotek) wrote:
> > I tried using LAB, but the LAB kernel build failed with what looked
> > like linker errors:
> >
> > kernel/built-in.o: In function `getnstimeofday':
> > (.text+0x15491): undefined reference to `__umoddi3'
> > kernel/built-in.o: In function `do_gettimeofday':
> > (.text+0x1553c): undefined reference to `__udivdi3'
> > kernel/built-in.o: In function `do_gettimeofday':
> > (.text+0x1555f): undefined reference to `__umoddi3'
> > kernel/built-in.o: In function `update_wall_time':
> > (.text+0x15c55): undefined reference to `__udivdi3'
> > kernel/built-in.o: In function `update_wall_time':
> > (.text+0x15c7f): undefined reference to `__umoddi3'
> > make[1]: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
> >
> > I highly doubt that the vanilla kernel from kernel.org had build
> > issues, so I'm guessing one or more of the patches are suspect.
>
> Is this with an unmodified buildrom?

I did a 'make menuconfig' but I didn't modify any source, if that's what
you mean.

> I just built an s2892 rom image with LAB payload (32 bit)
> using the latest buildrom revision, without problems. I'm
> building on 32-bit Ubuntu Hardy.
> Toolchain issue?

Hmm..  I attempted the 32-bit LAB build with a (32-bit) Intrepid Ibex
system that had
just recently been upgraded from Hardy..  I do have a Hardy box to build
on as well,
and I'll try that when I get home.

> > In case this turns out to be a dead end, what does porting
> a driver to
> > FILO involve?
>
> LAB shouldn't be a dead end - I've got it in production on
> several Tyan systems (s2881, s2882).

Ok.  This is encouraging.

> > [... ] If I understand
> > correctly, leaving out the ~36k chunk will still allow me
> to have all
> > the core functionality, just without VGA output..
>
> Yes. Once you have the image, you just prepend your VGA rom
> to the image, and flash it. You can get the VGA rom from the
> factory bios by using the correct decode utility (see the
> s2881 tutorial, for example).

I did happen to see the link to the "amideco" utility on the S2881
tutorial, but the
S2892 has a Phoenix BIOS.  If there is a Phoenix version of that
utility, could someone
make it available on the coreboot site?  The Russian domain is blocked
by our Net Nanny..

-Bijoy