[coreboot] r1026 - in coreboot-v3: mainboard/kontron/986lcd-m southbridge/intel/i82801gx

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 22:24:36 CET 2008

I see two possible compromises:

1. copy initram to the start of CAR. I think this is easy and would
work just fine. Then we can link initram to CARBASE
2. link initram into stage 0. The issue here is that we lose fallback.
Speaking as the only person here who ever reflashed 1023 nodes with a
defective bios, I have to say I am fond of fallback. Having fallback
saved about 5 days of cracking nodes open and replacing lpc parts. It
may have saved my life; I think the guys would have killed me had they
had to do the flash replacements. That said, I don't think most people
care about fallback, but that said, that's cause we're all hackers.
What about end users?

I don't see post-pass links on the lar as a realistic option.

As for ldscipts.. I was asked by an OLPC guy early in the game to tell
him how the jump from fallback to normal worked -- where did the
symbol get created in the process of building a fallback image? I
found the answer. Now I dare anyone on this list to go find it. Not
just "it's this linker script". But find the actual place the
computation is done and the symbol assigned. Then come back and tell
me you like the linker script approach :-)

I vote for (1),  myself.

But the fact is, for as long as we unpack a compressed coreboot to
RAM, we're going to have at least two stages, whether we call it that
or not.

ron