[coreboot] LPCflasher Project

steve at fl-eng.com steve at fl-eng.com
Sat Nov 15 22:09:58 CET 2008

Host USB ports are supposed to use a MosFET with internal current sense for
power protection. The FET signals the O/S when its current threshold is being
exceeded and then the O/S suspends the port and removes power.

If you apply +5v INTO the host port, you can create current spikes across the
FET which would damage the FET, trip the O/S into thinking a power fault has
occured and shut down the port. Even in this state, the reverse bias diode in
the FET will continue to allow the external voltage to be fed into the the
motherboard.

The FET/Motherboard external voltage will keep fighting each other as the
ripple in the motherboard +5v and your external +5v criss-cross each other.

This would probably be bad....

You can diode OR all of your mother board/external supplies together and
then run them into a buck/boost regulator. THat way the buck/boost will
maintain a local +5v supply at your board "regadless" of external voltages.

Thoughts?

Steve Spano
FLE