[coreboot] r1026 - in coreboot-v3: mainboard/kontron/986lcd-m southbridge/intel/i82801gx

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 07:54:34 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:02 PM, Corey Osgood <corey.osgood at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sure there are, CN700 in v2 uses a safe (read: slowest possible) set of
> timings that seems to work on all the memory I've thrown at it. AFAIK DDR2
> doesn't like running too much slower then spec, but it can handle quite a
> bit.

I used to try to use this approach and had only mixed luck with it. I
am glad it works on the VIA but I don't think we can count it working
in the general case.

Also, I learned the hard way that some DRAM controllers reset
completely when you change ANY timing registers and the result is you
lose all contents of DRAM.

It's very hard to get a general solution to DRAM that will work on all
chipsets.But picking safe initial timing is without a doubt the one of
the hardest problems.

thanks

ron