[coreboot] LPCflasher Wiki Page

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Nov 20 23:07:02 CET 2008

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>>> You need to implement a LPC protocol layer inside flashrom to
>>> do this.

Find an lmilk/wmilk tarball and translate the C++ code. Or maybe make
a plugin system for flashrom using some kind of IPC. Pipes, shared
memory, etc.

They drove the milksop and cheaplpc. The cheaplpc code I hinted at
also does exactly this already.

> What's the license of that software?

lmilk/wmilk is GPL. cheaplpc.com software I don't know, I didn't
download it.

> My suggestion for these external flashers would be to specify the
> name of the host/programmer like "--host=lpcflasher" and possibly
> "--interface=/dev/lp0".

I'd like to counter with --master or --plugin. --host could imply
networking and the term on LPC as well as SPI for something doing
what the external hardware is doing here is a bus master.

Parallell port abstraction is needed somewhere because every system
does this differently. lmilk/wmilk already has that. I don't expect
/dev/lp0 to be usable, if that exists then the kernel printer driver
has already claimed the port. But maybe /dev/parport0 can work, or
you do what lmilk does and simply program the port with OUTB/INB.

//Peter