[coreboot] LPCflasher Wiki Page

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Tue Nov 25 05:46:32 CET 2008

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 03:36:34 +0100, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:

>> > This sentence and design is not so good.
>>
>> Ok, how about this:
>> A series of 1K ohms resistors 250mW (1/4W) on data lines D0 ??? D6
>> convert the signals from 5V to 3.3v needed by the flash chip.
>
> This is still a bad claim. A resistor limits current and nothing
> else. Ignoring that will harm the rest of the circuit.
>

>> Any excess voltage is shunted by diodes inside the 74HC244 to its
>> 3.3V power rail.
>
> Umm, it could just break the IC. Please have a look at the data
> sheet again to confirm my fears. Going beyond absolute maximum
> ratings is not a good idea. Please avoid such recommendations.

Hmm. I just hooked everything up and tested the voltages across the
circuit. D0,D1, D2, D4, D5, and D6 are 4.13V all the way across. D3 was
4.37V all the way across. /Error, /SELIN, /PE, and /Ack were a solid 3.3V.
The original author also put a 1k resistor across the 3.3V power rail to
help to dissipate the current. Do you think that will help? I could always
replace the 1k resistors with schottky diodes to lower the voltage 0.6V,
but what about the bi-directional data lines? Would I have to put 2
schottky diodes togethor in both directions???

Also the Voltage on the LPC and FWH chips data lines should be + or - 0.5V
of 3.3V :-(

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org