[coreboot] YABEL: Yet another (legacy) BIOS Emulation Layer

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu Nov 27 18:44:21 CET 2008

Jordan Crouse wrote:
>>> Any thoughts?
>> Very very cool Patrick. If it has a BSD license it should be no
>> problem for
>> coreboot. I say the more payloads the better :-)
> Incorrect Joseph - most legal opinions are that BSD and GPL are
> incompatible, so it is a problem for coreboot.  Not a problem for
> libpayload though - so we can borrow what we need.
Well, obviously as long as we carry around a copy of x86emu (which is
BSD, not GPL), we can accept BSD licensed patches to that code.

I'm a bit surprised about "most legal opinions". Whose opinions are
they? Any pointers? Nobody ever complained about me linking libpayload
into FILO, for example, so it's not that incompatible). Do I have to
drop libpayload again?

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613