[coreboot] YABEL: Yet another (legacy) BIOS Emulation Layer

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Nov 27 21:26:52 CET 2008

On 27.11.2008 20:50, Pattrick Hueper wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
> <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Fortunately, that license does not have an advertising clause.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_license has a bit more info on that.
>> The "Redistribution in binary form" clause is often mistaken for the
>> advertising clause. I'm guilty of mixing this up in the past.
>>

> phew...  well then... i will wait for the release and then publish a
> patch series..
>
> The code as it is now is integrated into -v3 (basically i replaced the
>  biosemu.c of the current "x86emu" BIOS emulation code, with the code
> from SLOF)
> If i should make it a payload, can i still use the coreboot features
> like pci access functions and "struct device"?

Coreboot v3 assumes a payload will not return. That means you can't rely
on any functions provided by coreboot. However, you could introduce
another stage (stage3) with access to the shared functions. Almost
everything with "struct device" lives in stage2 and is not shared, so
that might be a problem as well.

I'd suggest to post your current state (once the code has been released)
before you do any further work. Design decisions are easier once the
code is out there.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--