[coreboot] AMD690GM-M2

Darmawan Salihun darmawan.salihun at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 14:30:48 CEST 2008

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Josh <zorn169 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Uwe!
>
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2008, Uwe Hermann wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 02:44:32AM -0400, Josh wrote:
>>
>> I think there _is_ a serial port, see below.
>
> Doh, you're right.  I thought it was supposed to have a serial port,
> but didn't think of looking for the header on the board.  The board
> didn't come with a connector cable, but at least that's cheap to buy.
>
>> Good, the chip is supported by flashrom.
> I'm having troubling finding a place to buy a W39V040B chip in the US.
> Looks like avnet.com is a good place to buy an alternative chip,
> but I can't to find any information on how to pick a chip that is
> compatible.  What criteria do I need to look at when picking out
> a different chip.  While I'm at it, I'd like to go with a bigger
> chip unless there is a reason not to.

You need a chip with the same capacity and same electrical characteristics,
i.e.  __access time and voltage level__. You can look for this
information in the
W39V040B datasheet. I think Winbond also provides a cross-reference
documentation that list the compatibilities of their flash ROMs with flash ROM
produced by other manufacturers.

I'm not sure if SB600 can decode the R/W access to Flash ROM bigger than
your current flash ROM. Maybe others can clarify?

>> > superiotool r3511
>> > Found ITE IT8726F (id=0x8726, rev=0x1) at 0x2e
>> > No dump available for this Super I/O
>>
>> Nice, first board with ITE IT8726F we've seen so far. Adding support
>> for this Super I/O should be trivial, there's a datasheet and it's
>> similar to most other ITE ones, of course.
>>
>> The Super I/O itself _does_ support serial though. And, luckily, the
>> website says there's a serial header _on_ the board (no serial port per
>> se, but you can attach one there). The board should come with a serial
>> connector cable, I guess. The header is right below the PCI slots.
>>

>> I think we can make this work, but we'll need your help.
> cool.
>
>> Next step would be to get a second ROM chip, so that you can make a
>> backup of your BIOS using flashrom, and a PLCC extractor (optional).
>> If you're sure you have a backup chip stored somewhere safe, the fun
>> can begin :)
>>
>> We might need some more info, e.g. the output of 'getpir' (a file called
>> irq_table.c) and 'mptable' output. Later, also 'superiotool -dV' but we
>> need to add IT8726F support to superiotool first...
>
> It didn't look too difficult, so I'm in the process of adding dump
> support for IT8726F.  At first glance it seemed pretty similar to
> IT8718F.  If I have any questions, I'll let you know.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh
>
> --

Regards,