[coreboot] MSI PM8M3-V revision v4 is model supported under any version of Coreboot?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Oct 9 21:06:04 CEST 2008

Hi Jeremiah,

Jeremiah Holt wrote:
> Mainboard
>
> MSI PM8M3-V revision v4
>
> CPU
>
> ? Supports Intel(R) Pentium 4 / Celeron D processors in LGA775 package.

..

> Chipset
>
> ? VIA(R) P4M800CE Chipset

..

> ? VIA(R) VT8237R plus Chipset
..

> step 2:
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge

> step 3:
> winbond W83627EHG
>
> step 4:
> PLCC soldered directly to board

The bad news is that your board is not currently supported by any
version of coreboot.

The good news is that each component on the board and at least all
newer P4 CPUs are supported already - but on other boards.

The key here is that CN700 and P4M800 are identical because they
share the same PCI ID, and we have CN700 working with VIA C7 CPUs.
However, it may not be evident how the P4M800 Host CPU Interface
(D0F2, thanks Corey!) shall be programmed in order to work with
Intel CPUs from any code we have - and we don't have any
documentation for these aspects of Intel CPUs to my knowledge.

Quoting Corey on IRC just now:

Th2103 <c_ozzie> maybe we can just pull them from lspci, and plug
away until something sticks? the suggested values should be in the
bios porting update note, even harder to get then the datasheet

This would certainly be an interesting port, all the big pieces
are in place, but a bit of glue is neccessary to fit everything
together.

//Peter