[coreboot] Early serial

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 05:30:39 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:

> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> > I said in the past that we shouldn't send stuff to serial before
> > serial is set up, but my pleas have been ignored
>
> Yes.
>

> > largely due to the fact that some hardware has working serial by
> > default, so the problems were not seen in practice.
>
> Not me. I ignore your plea because I think it is important for
> coreboot to communicate with the world very early on, and we should
> encourage it by making sure the port is enabled immediately.

Is there a way we can have it both ways? You, with your well-behaving
hardware, can have serial immediately, and I with my misbehaving hardware,
can store stage1 output in the console log buffer until it can be printed in
initram? Look at it this way: right now, I have limited options:

* Any init that can possibly fail with a message goes in initram.
* Check from initram if stage1 init failed.
* Assume stage1 init will never have any problems.

All options suck :(

-Corey