[coreboot] Proposed overhaul of the GRUB2 wiki page

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Sep 9 21:42:18 CEST 2008

On 09.09.2008 21:08, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 08:06:49PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
>> On 09.09.2008 19:39, Robert Millan wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I made a draft that I would like to propose as an overhaul of the GRUB2 wiki
>>> page.  I (ab)used the Talk page so that it can be reviewed from there:
>>>
>>>   http://www.coreboot.org/Talk:GRUB2
>>>
>>> Please let me know what you think.
>>>

>> Could you please try to merge your written-from-scratch version with the
>> existing version? It makes a lot of sense to keep all the valuable info
>> of the current page in the wiki.
>>

> Can you be more specific?  Do you mean information that is useful for GRUB
> in general (I think I preserved all of it, but I could have missed something),
> or information that is specific to the branch that is no longer maintained?

GRUB legacy is also no longer maintained, yet nobody suggests purging
information about it.
A branch that is no longer maintained can be equivalent to a branch
that's feature-complete and bug-free (think TeX). As long as the
mainline GRUB2 version does not have ALL features of the branch (and if
past experience is any indicator, that will never happen), mainline will
be inferior and the branch will be preferred by many people. Those
people need documentation.
So deleting the existing text is not an option right now.

I applaud your desire to create some documentation about mainline GRUB2
support. There are two ways to do that:
1) Extend the current GRUB2 page in the coreboot wiki to provide a
feature-based comparison between branch and mainline, together with
information about downloading and using both variants.
2) Write someting in the GRUB2 wiki about GRUB2 mainline coreboot support.
It would be nice if you took way 1), but I won't force you to do that.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/