[coreboot] Proposed overhaul of the GRUB2 wiki page

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Tue Sep 9 22:14:34 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 09:42:18PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

> GRUB legacy is also no longer maintained, yet nobody suggests purging
> information about it.

GRUB Legacy is maintained.  I know, because I maintain it myself in Debian.
See:

  http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/g/grub/grub_0.97-47/changelog

You might also want to check for others doing the same:

  http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/g/grub/grub_0.97-29ubuntu36/changelog

And so on.  And I also deal with bug reports.

> A branch that is no longer maintained can be equivalent to a branch
> that's feature-complete and bug-free (think TeX). As long as the
> mainline GRUB2 version does not have ALL features of the branch (and if
> past experience is any indicator, that will never happen), mainline will
> be inferior and the branch will be preferred by many people. Those
> people need documentation.
> So deleting the existing text is not an option right now.

No objection from me, as long as a contact address for bug reports and support
is provided.  If there's no explanation on where to send bug reports, people
will assume it's fine to contact GRUB authors, and grub-devel doesn't want the
hot potato.

> 2) Write someting in the GRUB2 wiki about GRUB2 mainline coreboot support.

My draft has an explanation on the branched version of GRUB 2.  Are you
impliing that the page should consider the abandoned version that nobody
is maintaining, and that Coresystems states has stopped developing for, as
the main option for those users who searched for "GRUB" in your wiki, and
clicked the "GRUB" link?

--
Robert Millan