[coreboot] FILO creating filo.conf

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Sep 12 05:43:53 CEST 2008

Joseph Smith wrote:
> > Scanning for drives has been considered before but always dismissed
> > because it will potentially take a very long time for FILO to start
> > if it needs to wait for drives to start.
>
> Doesn't the drive have to start for FILO to invoke GRUB?

FILO never invokes GRUB. FILO has it's own code that implements
GRUB-like functionality.

Yes, _the specified drive_ has to start before FILO can read from it.

But not _every drive_ needs to be checked, because the correct device
has to be specified beforehand.

> > As an optional feature, everyone pretty much said they want to be
> > able to do such a drive scan only a few days ago. Would be great if
> > you want to hack on it! :)
>
> I do think this would be better approach. I don't think scanning a
> top level directory would take very long.

The issue is not with filesystem structure. The issue is with drives.
Scanning drives takes some time, at least a few seconds per drive or
so.

Once the correct drive has been found, finding the boot files is
usually quick because only few sectors needs to be read.

//Peter