[coreboot] FILO creating filo.conf

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Mon Sep 15 23:39:29 CEST 2008

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> writes:

> On 15.09.2008 22:32, Joseph Smith wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:17:11 -0500, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net>
>> wrote:

>>> He was talking about turning flashrom into a library.  I guess you'd
>>> have to ask him about the details though.
>>>
>> Well like I said earlier. Why not setup a small jffs2 filesystem in flash
>> to host filo.conf?
>
> Code complexity and minimum size of jffs2 (5*eraseblocksize (64 kByte
> minimum) according to some tests) are the big problems here. Even if the
> code complexity was kept local, allocating 320 kByte of flash for
> filo.conf would be a showstopper. You may be able to get size
> requirements down with hacks and newer jffs2.

Well it looked to me when I last looked that 2 flash blocks that you
alternated writing to for BIOS config uses would probably be a good
idea.

In addition as I recall a lot of SST flash parts had 4K erase blocks.
And some others had a few small erase blocks.  So you can dramatically
get the erase size down.

The only downside is that you don't get as many erases as if you
had done wear leveling across the entire device.  But for something
you write infrequently it would not be a big deal.

Eric