[coreboot] patch: remove static variable from cs5536 smbus function

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 01:07:57 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:

> But I don't like all the duplication. Could it be made more generic?

how about we go with this patch and take an action to make it more
generic when the time comes?

I've done it this way because I want to make sure that spd_init gets
called. Putting a call to spd_init() in the generic sdram code
will ensure that the mainboard-specific spd_init() gets written; you
can't link coreboot unless you define that function, and if you define
that function, it *will* be called.

So this way of doing it makes very certain that the function will be
written and will be called when needed.

If we leave it up to people to call smbus_init() in initram main(),
somebody is going
to have a bad time when they forget to call it.

But one last option is take the spd_init call out of the spd code and
just remind people that the first call in initram should be
if they need it.

let's get to a decision :-)