[coreboot] v3 parallel port console?

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Wed Sep 17 02:24:15 CEST 2008

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 01:24:29 +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
> On 17.09.2008 00:34, Joseph Smith wrote:
>>> Guys, have you noticed how similar this idea is to the often-derided
> USB
>>> flash key plugged into a USB<->PS/2 converter? That's a great thing! It
>>> means we'll attract all sorts of crazy hardware hackers.
>>>

>> I've never heard of anyone doing that? I'd be curious if you have any
>> links?
>>

> Short version: Some keyboards are dual USB+PS/2 keyboards and have an
> USB connector by default. They often come with a pure passive adapter
> which will convert the USB pinout to a PS/2 pinout.
> http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/directron_2019_60686738 is an
> example image of such a female USB -> male PS/2 adapter.
> Of course, this will only work with devices supporting the PS/2 protocol
> natively.

Right.

> Some time ago, a few pranksters (myself included) suggested to use such
> an adapter to plug USB flash drives into legacy PCs without USB ports.
> Of course that wouldn't work due to the passive nature of the adapter
> (electrical and protocol mismatch).

Carl-Daniel you prankster :-)
Suprised if the fool that tried it didn't brick their flash drive. I
thought you meant some hardware hacker had actually acomplished this. Now
that would be sight to see :-)

> The PS/2 port is generally seen as a pure input "device" and using it
> for complex output (i.e. not just switching keyboard lights) will
> certainly baffle lots of people and confuse those "of course that won't
> work" experts.

Agreed. Now we just need to figure out what kind of hardware to convert the
DATA & CLK lines to serial.

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org