[coreboot] what are ELF boot notes?

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Wed Sep 24 20:23:47 CEST 2008

Hi,

Does anyone know what "ELF boot notes" are?  I've seen this reference in
coreboot-v2/src/arch/i386/boot/boot.c.  There's a struct named elf_boot_notes
whose pointer is passed to the payload via %ebx, and a magic signature in
%eax as well.

Which is very similar to Multiboot (possibly inspired by it?), as it uses the
same registers and is therefore impossible to support both things at the same
time.

This interface is not in v3.  Does this mean it's no longer being used?  If
it's still in use with v2, I could add a build option that selects between
them.

--
Robert Millan