[coreboot] Remaining ROMCC targets

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Sat Apr 4 04:56:44 CEST 2009

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 02:21:59 +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
> On 04.04.2009 01:06, Joseph Smith wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 00:26:19 +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
>> <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>>> [ROMCC->CAR]
>>> Great. Will a bad reflash hurt you?
>>>

>> No, as long as it doesn't blow the thing up :-0
>>

> Heh. That won't happen unless an endless loop is too much for your
> cooling setup.
>

>>> What you need to try this one out:
>>> - a POST card or another way to fetch POST codes.
>>> - tell me whether POST works by default or you need special setup.
>>> - a will to try out v3 with some patches.
>>>
>> Ok, I have a PCI/Parallel Post Card. The RM4100 doesn't have eithor, the
>> IP1000 does have a PCI slot so we can use that for testing.
>>

> Good. Can you verify that the PCI POST card works?

Sure

>>> The idea is to test the v3 intel CAR code which has not been on real
>>> hardware yet, but it is a much cleaner and more readable implementation
>>> compared to v2. I'm hoping we don't need chipset specific stuff for
> POST
>>> to work.
>>>
>> Not sure, serial output works fine.
>>

> We'll debug very early code, before serial can be set up.

Oh ok.

>>> I need info on the cache size of your processor, though. Unreliable CAR
>>> is not nearly as much fun as reliable CAR.
>>>
>> 512k
>>
>> http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL69K
>>

> Thanks. Can you find out L1 cache sizes as well? The spec page was not
> clear about that.

Hmm, Datasheet does not say:
http://download.intel.com/design/PentiumIII/datashts/27367305.pdf

It just says:
• On-die primary (L1) instruction and data caches
  — 4-way set associative, 32-byte line size, 1 line per sector
  — 16-Kbyte instruction cache and 16-Kbyte write-back data cache
  — Cacheable range controlled by processor programmable registers
• On-die second level (L2) cache
  — 8-way set associative, 32-byte line size, 1 line per sector
  — Operates at full core speed
  — 512-Kbyte ECC protected cache data array

> And is the processor hyperthreading capable?

No, hyperthreading was not introduced until later P4's

> I'll follow up with a patch on Wednesday or Thursday.

Cool. I am going out of town this weekend but I will test out the post card
as soon as I can.
Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org