[coreboot] [Bochs-developers] Has anyone used a real BIOS image?

Scott Duplichan sduplichan at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 7 05:55:09 CEST 2009

I found a bochs project that boots a real AMI BIOS. The bios is for Matrix, a Foxconn dual socket Opteron server. The bochs code and bios code is from mid 2004. The archive includes everything except the ami bios source code: http://notabs.org/bochs/. Here are some limitations. I always used Windows x64 and Microsoft Visual Studio to build and execute. The project files are for Visual Studio 2005. The executable is for Win x64. I did build a Win32 executable and it seems to work OK. Run the matrix-ami batch file in the bochs directory to boot. If the first boot attempt hangs, try again. It never takes more than two attempts. The hang is because of a cmos problem, but I forget if it is a bochs problem or bios problem. The AMD-8111 cmos is kept in cmos.bin. Once the bios splash screen is displayed, it will show, "timer error, press f1 to resume" (http://notabs.org/bochs/matrix-01.png). The cause is imperfect 8254 emulation. Just press f1. After that it
 will boot to DOS from a hard drive image. This bochs makes an I/O log file (io.log). DOS boot results in about 200,000 entries. Some are nicely formatted. Also included is a full screen bios source level debugger. Without bios source code, the debugger is still quite useful. To invoke the debugger, press <Ctrl>C in the bochs console and type debug (http://notabs.org/bochs/matrix-02.png). The debugger window will open. The error message about no *.map means source code debugging will not be available (http://notabs.org/bochs/matrix-03.png). Press f2 (twice because of a bug) to switch to disassembly view (http://notabs.org/bochs/matrix-04.png). Press f2 to toggle breakpoints (http://notabs.org/bochs/matrix-05.png). Press g (go). Execution will stop when a breakpoint is hit (http://notabs.org/bochs/matrix-06png). Press f4 for a command line debugger. The ? help screen doesn't seem to be working. It should read:
u16, u32, u64 <count> unassemble
eax=<value> change eax value, same for other registers
esc toggles command/navigate mode
cls clear screen

Here is an example http://notabs.org/bochs/matrix-07png.

Press <Alt>X to exit the debugger and return to the normal bochs console mode.

These code modifications were made in haste for temporary use. Lack of comments and other coding shortcuts will limit the usefulness of this code for others.

Thanks,
Scott