[coreboot] flashrom and quanta mainboard

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 22:09:35 CEST 2009

2009/4/16 Raphaël Maville <rafmav at wanadoo.fr>

> Well had not time to open the laptop;
>
> I have tried something: else: phnxdeco (phoenix bios decoder) on the
> update "bios.wph" from the vendor site (HP):
>
> Sorry, I am speaky below, because I do not know what is usefull!
>

> phnxdeco seem to be only to read bios, not to write it!

phnxdeco doesn't read the flash chip, it disassembles the bios file (the
updated one you handed it). This page might help:
http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm. I've also been known to hack up a
windows 98se CD to update a laptop BIOS (remove all windows install files,
copy BIOS flash tool + BIOS update).

As far as flashrom is concerned, we'd need to first know your laptop's
chipset (lspci should suffice). The flash chip also probably has some other
chips blocking off access to it, perhaps the southbridge or embedded
controller, there's a couple ways to find out that info but I'm not an
expert on finding or poking them to get access.

-Corey