[coreboot] vx855 and v3?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Apr 18 01:51:39 CEST 2009

Hi,

Richard Smith wrote:
> This is a release from OLPC and we are responsible for any
> ommisions, bugs, etc.

Yes indeed! The other contributors are also responsible for their
coreboot support that exists for older VIA hardware.

> Kudos to Via.  They have been a pleasure to work with so far.

I am glad to hear that!

> I also have a question on the fitness level for V3.  Is it worth it
> to port the code to V3 and try to use that as the primary
> development path?

V3 is still in the design test phase.

The design is proven on Geode, but not on anything else.

VIA hardware seems to be less special than the Geode so I don't think
it would be a lot of work to get it running on v3.

Nothing in v3 is anywhere close to being polished though. It is in a
bit of disarray with some targets not building, not very optimal
dependencies, and so on.

I want to continue the design testing, on something else than Geode.

(I would also like to really clean up the Geode stuff. That SPD
parsing matter remains, but I think that's just one of many things
to look at.)

Corey has been doing great work with C7 so far.

I also think there are some things that we wanted to put into v3
which aren't even started.

On the flip side there are all the things in v3 that have been
started and work well. I think they are great improvements, and they
are there now. They may make their way into v2 as well, but that will
take more time.

I would love it if you did go to v3, but my honest opinion is that it
is not very fit at the moment.

Design testing has to finish at whatever pace it needs. If on any
kind of project deadline, testing the v3 design probably isn't the
best way to spend your time.

Yes, it may take a while to get v3 out of design testing.
Yes, money would make it happen sooner.

//Peter