[coreboot] i need some help.

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 17:36:44 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Mats Leif Moskopp
<leifmos at googlemail.com> wrote:
> hello
>
> i'm sorry about my english - perhaps it is one reason why i did't succed
> with the manuals in the internet.
> i have a debian system and i can't use some features like the
> brightness-fn-keys or the system beep.

I think this is an ACPI problem.  You can load a modified DSDT at
boot.  No need to replace the BIOS.  There are very few laptops
supported in coreboot right now because the embedded controllers are
not documented.

> so i tried to install a linux bios on my laptop - thats what i'm thinking
> flashrom is doing, isn't it? (i tried to understand the targets of
> http://linuxbios.org/)

flashrom reads and writes the flash chip that contains your BIOS.

> so when i run flashrom i receive the following lines:
>
> africa:/home/mats# flashrom
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> No coreboot table found.
> Found chipset "Intel ICH8M", enabling flash write... OK.
> No EEPROM/flash device found.
> If you know which flash chip you have, and if this version of flashrom
> supports a similar flash chip, you can try to force read your chip. Run:
> flashrom -f -r -c similar_supported_flash_chip filename
>
> Note: flashrom can never write when the flash chip isn't found
> automatically.
>
> Whats wrong?
Your board isn't supported by flashrom yet.

> I have an Intel Crestline GM965/GL960+ICH8M Chipset.
> Is flashrom the right way for the things, which my BIOS doesn't do at the
> moment?
> Can you please help me?
I think it would be easier to get ACPI debugging tools and modify your
DSDT.  This isn't the list for that, but here are a couple of links.

http://www.acpica.org
http://arrrr.com/presario2800.shtml (Custom DSDT section)

Google for more ;)

Thanks,