[coreboot] coreboot generated .rom is not bootable. why?

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 04:06:15 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 7:56 PM, 유택연 <jaagar at gmail.com> wrote:

> I followed instruction from http://www.coreboot.org/AMD_SimNow .
> All compilation was done with no error.
> But SimNow not accept my coreboot.rom.
>
> The error message is
>
> BIOS ROM file is the wrong size for this BSD.

The default BIOS size for SimNOW isn't the same as the default size for
Coreboot.

>   Please either point the memdevice to the correct BIOS ROM file, or
> configure the memdevice to be the correct size.

You can recompile Coreboot to be the same size as the original BIOS, or you
can change the parameters of the memdevice.

In the same window where you set the name of the file for the BIOS, set the
size and the address to 0x100000000-size.

For example, for a 512KB Coreboot image, you'll set the size to 0x80000 and
the address to 0xfff80000.

> I suposed this error was caused by header mismatch.
> Generic ROM file has '0xaa 0xbb 0xcc 0xdd' signature at address 0x00000000.
> But coreboot.rom does not.

There is no header check for the ROM.  It just starts executing the code it
finds at 0xfffffff0.

> On real machine which has coreboot.rom flashed, stopped BIOS loading after
> first access.

Which real machine?  Which ROM?

> How do I get a correct coreboot.rom?

Make sure the size of the image is correct, and that the board matches the
board you're using.

Good luck,
Myles