[coreboot] SeaBIOS and CBFS floppy images

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed Aug 19 02:09:36 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:13:21PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> this is really neat.
>
> On 18.08.2009 03:23, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> > It is now possible to embed an image of a floppy into a CBFS flash
> > file and then boot from that image with SeaBIOS.
> >
> > I've used this to boot FreeDOS directly from flash on my epia-cn.
> >
> > http://www.coreboot.org/SeaBIOS#Adding_a_floppy_image
> >

> Could you add a pointer to the download location for the FreeDOS floppy
> image you used? I don't know if all FreeDOS images on the net will work.

Thanks Carl-Daniel.

I put the floppy I used temporarily at:

http://linuxtogo.org/~kevin/SeaBIOS/test/freedos-floppy.lzma

It's simple to reproduce it.  Grab a test floppy from:

http://odin.fdos.org/odin2005/odin1440.img

Create a new floppy image:

dd if=/dev/zero of=myfloppy.img bs=512 count=2880

Run it under qemu:

qemu -fda odin1440.img -fdb myfloppy.img

And then ask dos to format the new floppy:

format /s b:

Of course, you could just compress and use the original freedos
floppy, but that will require a lot more flash space (>1MB).

-Kevin