[coreboot] flashrom on intel dg33tl

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Mon Feb 2 12:42:09 CET 2009

on 30/01/2009 02:39 Carl-Daniel Hailfinger said the following:
> On 29.01.2009 13:45, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> Sorry for top posting.
>> flashrom stopped working for me on intel DG33TL motherboard since I
>> reported success.
>> In the quoted older message below you can find what flashrom reported
>> then, here is what it reports now:
>>

> Ah yes. You're hitting the problem that the "read" opcode is prohibited
> by the BIOS. Older flashrom versions ignored that and simply read the
> memory-mapped contents near the top of the address space. These dumps
> were incomplete, though, so in a way claiming to have dumped the ROM was
> a bug. The new code tries to get it right and hits the roadblock erected
> by the BIOS.
>
> There's nothing we can do to fix it unless we discover a bug in the
> hardware (or implement the descriptor mode driver for ICH).

Thank you for the information.
I noticed that the image that older flashrom produced was less than half
a size of Intel's rescue image.
I think that it still should be possible to unlock the hardware via
software (or something like that), because Intel has a tool that updates
BIOS from within OS (you guessed it right - available only for Windows).

--
Andriy Gapon