[coreboot] CONFIG_ about which messages to compile in

Mart Raudsepp mart.raudsepp at artecdesign.ee
Tue Feb 10 17:53:03 CET 2009

Ühel kenal päeval, T, 2009-02-10 kell 08:49, kirjutas ron minnich:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> > ron minnich wrote:
> >> You have to rewrite all the printk functions to be macros again.
> >> It's a bit more work than changing one setting.
> >
> > But it shouldn't be too bad, right?
> >
> > Just one printk function should need changing, and only at the
> > definition.

The log level is now given with an argument, so it's trickier to get the
code excluded from the binary completely. Likely can coerce gcc to do
that with specially crafted code.

> It should not be too bad. I just want to make sure that everyone on
> the list understands what we are going to change.
>
> Getting rid of the printk macro, and having all printk messages always
> available, was viewed as a reform from v2. We're essentially reforming
> the reform :-)

We are giving more possibilities and restoring the possibility of having
a more limited set of debug strings compiled in. Having all loglevel
messages compiled in would still be a possibility and the default for
all I care.

Regards,
Mart Raudsepp