[coreboot] slow load times

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed Feb 18 01:40:58 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 09:50:02AM -0700, Myles Watson wrote:
> > If you send the full log, maybe it will help diagnose that problem.
>
> I've attached 3 logs.  booted is from cold boot and was successful.
> ctrl-alt-del and ctrl-alt-del2 were my attempts to reboot during
> SeaBIOS.  One time it hung the machine, the other time it didn't seem
> to do much.  When it fails, the SeaBIOS part looks the same, but I get
> this at boot time, sometimes followed by kernel a panic.
>
> [    6.832316] ata5.00: ATAPI: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A, 1.01, max UDMA/33
> [   11.836055] ata5.01: qc timeout (cmd 0xf8)

What version of SeaBIOS did you try?  Over the weekend, I commited
f358759fb which fixed a problem with the RTC not being reset during
ctrl+alt+delete.  Your ctrl-alt-del2 log is similar to what I was
seeing.

The other two logs look like drive failures.  I suppose your drives
could be getting seriously confused when SeaBIOS tries to read/write
to them while they are reporting BSY.  Were these failures before you
applied the await_not_bsy(iobase1) patch?

> >         // Look for device
> > +        await_not_bsy(iobase1);
> >         outb(slave ? ATA_CB_DH_DEV1 : ATA_CB_DH_DEV0, iobase1+ATA_CB_DH);
> > +        await_not_bsy(iobase1);

> This patch makes it wait for the controllers to initialize.  It works
> sometimes from cold boot now!

Does it work consistently?  If it still fails sometimes I'm confused
on what it could be.

-Kevin