[coreboot] slow load times

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Thu Feb 19 14:44:34 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:32:31PM +0100, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> > If we don't want to compile in a max, and it's not reasonable to
> > autodetect it, then I guess we could have coreboot pass in the max to
> > SeaBIOS via the coreboot table.
> Maybe coreboot should pass its complete device tree in the coreboot
> table, so SeaBIOS and others can do more queries if needed? (And, for
> example, scan the buses that are known to exist instead of just going
> for a max.)

What makes this interesting for SeaBIOS is that it needs to support
non-coreboot environments as well.  (Further, on qemu/kvm/bochs,
SeaBIOS can't write to global variables until it unlocks the
f-segment, and it needs to do a pci scan to unlock the f-segment.)

I'd prefer not to have two different sets of pci scanning code - one
for coreboot and one for the emulators.  That is why I've been hoping
a simple optimization (like max bus) could be found - something that
can easily work in both environments.

That aside, I do like the idea of coreboot publishing more info.  I
think Peter is a fan of the PPC Linux "device tree" format.

-Kevin