[coreboot] issues with seabios on the m2a-vm

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Fri Feb 20 23:18:00 CET 2009

Hi all,

I'm seeing some weird behavior with seabios on the asus m2a-vm. The machine
boots fine with filo:

If I use seabios as a payload and leave CONFIG_BOOTMENU enabled, seabios
hangs on boot - but it's not entirely dead as pushing num lock, caps lock or
scroll lock results in this on the serial console:

  i8042 ctr old=00000061 new=00000060
  i8042 ctr old=00000061 new=00000060

I tracked the hang down to the line

      while (get_keystroke(0) >= 0)

in src/boot.c. Here's the boot log:

If I disable CONFIG_BOOTMENU, seabios does not hang but things go pretty

The IRQs seem to be messed up, and there seem to be some serious SATA issues
with the AHCI driver segfaulting and no sata drives being properly detected
by the kernel.

This is my config.h:

Any suggestions for what might be going wrong? Ultimately I'd like to try
seabios with a sata controller whose option rom hangs the coreboot emulator.

Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>
Free Software Foundation - Senior Systems Administrator