[coreboot] fyi: kontron no longer works

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Feb 21 02:40:59 CET 2009

On 21.02.2009 02:01, ron minnich wrote:
> carl-daniel: I wonder about the recent commit that related to breaking
> kontron, that we were unsure caused kontron to fail some time ago but
> were not sure about.
>
> I ask this question because latest svn no longer works at all, I get
> absolutely no output on kontron. Nothing.
>
> Can we re-open the question? My memory is very fuzzy on the issues.

I need to look at the core2duo startup again. If my memory serves
correctly, we now have some stack variables outside the stack. That's an
age-old once fixed and then reverted core2duo startup bug.

Depending on how lucky you are (and if gcc plays along), even buggy
startup may work for you without visible issues. It certainly worked
months (years?) for everyone else although it was buggy. Some SimNow
versions did notice the bug in odd ways, but that's it.

Short summary: Even if the current code boots, you need to watch out for
stack underflow and corner case behaviour for bottom-of-stack during
startup.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--