[coreboot] Splitting out subprojects into separate repositories (was: Re: RFC: a "forge" for our various subprojects)

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Feb 27 16:08:54 CET 2009

On 25.02.2009 17:20, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 05:13:46PM +0100, Patrick Georgi wrote:
>
>> I think the many-projects-in-a-single-repo thing is somewhat "historical".
>> Recently, projects simply
>> got their own repository, but we used to stuff everything into the main
>> repo.
>>
>> I see three possible solutions:
>> - Split out the projects into separate repositories (and probably use
>> svn:externals for help with transition)
>>

> I think this would be a good idea anyway, regardless of whether we use
> indefero.

There is one big problem affecting almost all of our contributors from
big companies: svn:externals.
Even if you access the main repository via https, svn:externals
specifies the protocol as native svn, so users behind corporate
firewalls not allowing native svn are stuck once they try to check out
our trees. Although svn:externals can handle the same protocols as a
normal svn tree, the protocol used for svn:externals is a repository
property.

That problem was fixed in subversion 1.5, see
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.advanced.externals.html (search
for "frustrations"). However, the new svn:externals format is
incompatible with subversion 1.4, so we'd erect a big roadblock for
everyone stuck with svn 1.4 or earlier.

Even if we ignore all that, preserving history will be difficult.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/