[coreboot] etherboot problem..

jmcdowell at issisolutions.com jmcdowell at issisolutions.com
Fri Feb 27 21:20:26 CET 2009

  Before I get flamed, I know this is the coreboot discussion forum.
Someone told me the other day that coreboot was the form of linuxbios,
and my issue touches linux bios.  If this is the wrong list, please
forgive me without burning me at the steak.

 Anyway, on with it.

  I have a problem, that has had me banging my head against the wall for
weeks.  I am finally giving up, and asking on the list, as I cannot find
documentation to aid in fixing this issue.

 Here goes..

 I have an Linux NetworX cluster here, that uses etherboot on the nodes.
The new software replacement doesn't use etherboot, although it's capable
of sending out the pxe payload re-packaged for etherboot.  The problem
is, that when it gets to loading the kernel, it just hangs there.  So
after trying to build all sorts of new newer newest kernels.  I did a
little home work.  What I did find, was that execute "file" on each
kernel. ( The new and old LNXI kernel ) did show two differences.

Old : x86 boot sector

My newly built kernels show something different.

New : Linux kernel x86 boot executable RO-rootFS, root_dev 0x802, swap_dev
0x1, Normal VGA

  I have searched and searched for documents that explain how to get the
image I need.  Can anyone please shed some light on this issue?

 Thanks in advance.

  Joshua