[coreboot] MTRR setup strategy

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sun Jan 25 03:06:51 CET 2009

On 25.01.2009 02:39, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
>> (And anyone implementing this should probably add all mails
>> explaining the algorithm as code comments. Nobody is going to
>> understand such code in a few months if it was written without
>> enough comments. ;-)
>>

> This is just another allocation algorithm.
>
> The PCI resource allocation taught us that KISS must be key.

We have a KISS algorithm for MTRRs right now. It causes >10 minute boots.
The RAM init code taught us that good comments are essential and
documenting the shortfalls is key.

> 6 entries is a sad restriction to deal with. These are times when
> >=4GB is not so uncommon.

There are enough common corner cases and restrictions not handled by
coreboot. I hope we can get an optimal solution at least for MTRRs.

I have a dream. One recent mainstream desktop mainboard that works a
least as well as with the alternative.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--