[coreboot] MTRR setup strategy

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Jan 28 13:26:57 CET 2009

On 28.01.2009 05:53, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Corey Osgood <corey.osgood at gmail.com> writes:
>

>> ???
>> I'm not seeing any code in v2 capable of calculating subtractive mtrrs, is it
>> possibly in v1?  Am I missing something? I'm only looking in mtrr.c.
>>

> I haven't looked recently so it may be that someone took it for some
> bizarre reason.  But the code was there and it worked.  Do we have a good history
> or has transitioning between a dozen version control systems messed that up?

I looked at all changes since r2006 in src/cpu/x86/mtrr/ and
src/cpu/amd/mtrr/
r3014 introduced CONFIG_VAR_MTRR_HOLE which needs to be enabled to use
subtractive MTRR code for x86. Before that revision, that code was
always enabled.

However, I get the following boot log, so I assume subtractive setup
works at least in some cases:

Initializing CPU #0
CPU: vendor AMD device 50ff2
CPU: family 0f, model 5f, stepping 02
Enabling cache
Setting fixed MTRRs(0-88) type: UC
Setting fixed MTRRs(0-16) Type: WB, RdMEM, WrMEM
Setting fixed MTRRs(24-88) Type: WB, RdMEM, WrMEM
DONE fixed MTRRs
Setting variable MTRR 0, base:    0MB, range: 4096MB, type WB
ADDRESS_MASK_HIGH=0xff
Setting variable MTRR 1, base: 4096MB, range: 1024MB, type WB
ADDRESS_MASK_HIGH=0xff
Setting variable MTRR 2, base: 3072MB, range: 1024MB, type UC
ADDRESS_MASK_HIGH=0xff
DONE variable MTRRs
Clear out the extra MTRR's
call enable_var_mtrr()
Leave x86_setup_var_mtrrs
MTRR check
Fixed MTRRs   : Enabled
Variable MTRRs: Enabled
CPU model AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/