[coreboot] SeaBIOS on DBE63 not functional

Mart Raudsepp mart.raudsepp at artecdesign.ee
Thu Jan 29 11:33:04 CET 2009

Ühel kenal päeval, K, 2009-01-28 kell 19:52, kirjutas Kevin O'Connor:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:50:43PM +0200, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
> > On K, 2009-01-28 at 13:36 -0500, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> > > BTW, what are you using for a vgabios?  I thought geode didn't have a
> > > vga bios available.
> > I am not using a VGA BIOS at all.
>
> Without a vga bios, you're probably not going to be able to make much
> use of SeaBIOS.  I wouldn't assume boot loaders will just "work"
> without one.

Just one step would be to get SeaBIOS booting something. Then I can
present that and we are one step closer in shipping more devices with
coreboot, and more likely to get more time resources on getting the rest
to work.
All the other bootloaders used as payloads work just fine without a VGA
BIOS - FILO, etherboot, etc. Under not assuming boot loaders will just
"work" without a VGA BIOS, do you mean the boot loaders found in MBRs?
Kind of comes back to the currently missing possibility to optionally
just use SeaBIOS for interrupt services.

> There has been discussion of porting the open source vga bios to
> geode.

I've seen some vague mentions of it, but nothing concrete besides plans
without details, and nothing even close to actual code :(
I hope I've just missed something. While on that topic, some more
detailed planning might be useful - is there something this is good to
be based on? is there a good idea how it should get hooked it? etc

> Also, google announced a vga bios to serial converter that you
> could try.

Yeah, I could see what sgabios does at some point.

> > XPe boot definitely didn't work then though. It probably does rely on
> > VGA BIOS at start, but after that the native driver takes over.
>
> You'll need the vga bios for xp.  One can verify this with qemu -
> without the vga bios it wont start.

Most unfortunate. What is it wanting from it besides just drawing stuff.
Is it expecting some kind of replies or return values back unlike some
other things?

> > Regarding a note in the other reply of yours - no, I don't have any
> > SuperIO, and therefore no PS/2 keyboard or the like. I only have a USB
> > keyboard and that I believe is not supported yet by SeaBIOS. I have OHCI
> > not UHCI, as a non-Intel chipset (unless I'm mixing the two again).
>
> Right - SeaBIOS doesn't have uhci/ohci support.  It would be nice to
> add though.

Indeed :)

Regards,
Mart Raudsepp