[coreboot] Support for Asus A8M2N-LA ?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri Jul 3 14:25:48 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 02:08:08AM +0000, Goboster wrote:
> I've got a HP Pavilion desktop that has an ASUS OEM motherboard model A8M2N-LA.
> Manufacturer details are here (there is a nice schematic):
> http://tr.im/qHw7
>
> It appears to have an MCP51 southbridge, ASUS A8000 SuperIO, a "GeForce 6150 LE"
> northbridge, Pm49FL004 flash, and also has a Nvidia C51PVG chip on it. I have no
> idea what that last chip is, but I saw some references to it in an earlier
> thread here http://tr.im/qHvZ .

I'm afraid this board will not be supported anytime soon. Both the
NVIDIA C51 and MCP51 are not supported and we generally don't have
_any_ NVIDIA datasheets, so this will not change a lot...

(Only MVIDIA MCP55 and CK804 are supported because a developer had
NDA datasheets back then, but he no longer has access to them also)

> superiotool -dV
> (all other probes not listed failed)
> Probing for SMSC Super I/O (idregs=0x20/0x21) at 0x2e...
> Found ASUS A8000 (id=0x77, rev=0x03) at 0x2e

Nice, thanks! We didn't yet have a dump from an A8000, nice to see that
the code seems to work ok. Will link to it in the superiotool wiki page.

> flashrom -V
> Calibrating delay loop... 353M loops per second. OK.
> No coreboot table found.
> Found chipset "NVidia MCP51", enabling flash write... OK.
[...]
> Pm49FL004 found at physical address 0xfff80000.
> Flash part is Pm49FL004 (512 KB).
> No operations were specified.

Looks good so far. If you have a working backup chip (and the chip is
in a socket, not soldered) then you can try to erase the chip and write
random data on it to see if flashrom supports your board out of the box
or if any special flashrom code will be required. That would be helpful.

But please only attempt this if you are sure you can recover in case the
flashing doesn't work.

Uwe.