[coreboot] Problem jumping to Boot Loader

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Tue Jul 28 14:42:34 CEST 2009

Jeffrey C. Jacobs schrieb:
> I would update my GRUB checkout but every time I try to, I get "svn:
> Server sent unexpected return value (502 Bad Gateway) in response to
> OPTIONS request for 'http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/svn/grub/trunk'" and
> even in verbose mode I can't figure that one out.  But since we're
> talking GRUB 2 and a version within the last 3 months, I think it
> should be compatible with HIMEM.  So why, when I try it with
> LinuxBIOS, GRUB is able to load, but when I do with CoreBoot, it fails
> to jump to the boot loader?
Given that there is absolutely no output by GRUB, that might as well be
another problem - but it might also be high tables support.
I don't know if they support it, as I don't monitor their efforts.
However, I don't think there are any developers left that work on both
codebases, so that feature in coreboot might have happened without them
noticing. As not all boards use high tables yet, they might have missed
the need to implement support for it.

One option for now could be to disable HAVE_HIGH_TABLES in your coreboot
build. Eventually, this config flag will disappear, with high tables
activated in all of coreboot, so this would mostly be something to get
past that road bump _for now_.

You could also try the current, maintained FILO tree. See
http://www.coreboot.org/FILO for information on how to fetch it.

Regards,
Patrick