[coreboot] vga not working

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed Jul 29 02:57:52 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:50:46PM +0200, Arnaud Maye wrote:
> The strange square pattern has a 720x400 resolution, this is what is
> happening as soon the vga console is turned on.
[...]
>> I have tried two GFX cards :
>> - Matrox G550 pci express 1 lane
>> - Club3D 8500GT Silent edition 16 lanes
>>
>> Both of the cards behaving same besides colors of the squares.

Hi Arnaud,

I don't know what would cause this.  A couple of guesses:

* coreboot isn't setting up the pci space with the correct legacy
  ranges

* seabios isn't implementing some bios feature the card is expecting

Because you're seeing this on two completely different vga cards, I'd
guess that it's something with the coreboot pci setup.  I'm not
familiar with Club3D - can you verify it isn't also using a Matrox
chip?

-Kevin