[coreboot] vga not working

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed Jul 29 14:44:42 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:31:59AM +0200, Arnaud Maye wrote:
> Kevin O'Connor wrote:

>> I don't know what would cause this.  A couple of guesses:
>>
>> * coreboot isn't setting up the pci space with the correct legacy
>>   ranges
>>
> We are talking about the GFX cards legacy ranges, right? I think
> Myles looked at the PCI allocation already it seems everything is
> fine there.

Setting up VGA is special in a number of ways.  I'm wondering if
something is not correct in the setup.  Again, it seems likely that
coreboot is the culprit if two completely different cards are showing
similar behavior.

[...]
> Kevin are you able to recommend me any recent PCIe card which is known
> to be working "out of the box" under seabios? That way I will just
> purchase this adapter to get up and running with the VGA. Actually I
> need to get XP to boot so I would need VGA to diagnose the windows
> boot this is going to be easier.

I have never tested with a PCIe VGA card.  Perhaps someone on the list
has.  However, if the issue is with coreboot, a third card will likely
exhibit the same results.

-Kevin