[coreboot] Dual flash chip mod

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Jul 29 17:45:45 CEST 2009

I'm copying the flashrom list because this is no longer coreboot
related. Followups to flashrom at flashrom.org please.

On 29.07.2009 17:16, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Ivan Barrera A. wrote:
>>> Ok. If there is physical room for another chip inside the machine you
>>> can just connect all important signals across (maybe 10 or so), build
>>> a simple transistor switching circuit for the chip select line and
>>> finally run only three wires out of the machine. They can be as long
>>> as you like.
>> I think there is room at a side of the plcc socket i put. How long
>> could those wires be ?
> A few cm should be fine but keep them as short as possible.
> You need pins 2 (7 8) (9 10 11 12) 13 14 15 16 17 24 25 28 29 31 32
> Hm, that's 12 but some are the same signal. The ID pins and MODE can
> probably be tied to either VDD or VSS but check their connections on
> the original chip first.

If we're dealing with FWH chips on ICH, you can solder both chips on top
of each other with all pins except ID0. ID0 needs to be connected to a
switch so that exactly one of them is high and the other one is low.

>> Or try to fix the flashrom for my board :)
> That would also be nice, but the chipset could be locked down a bit
> too much to make it comfortable.

Still, we should try it. Ivan, can you mail flashrom at flashrom.org with
the output from "flashrom -V" for that chip?