[coreboot] [v3] r1170 - coreboot-v3/util/x86emu

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Mon Jun 8 14:27:59 CEST 2009

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 05:20:14 -0700, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Stefan Reinauer<stepan at coresystems.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Ah yes! On qemu a "real VGA card" is emulated, not "onboard graphics".
> Thus
>> you must not pack the VGA rom into coreboot.rom
>
> neither of us are packing it into coreboot.rom. The ROM is being found
> as an expansion ROM attached to the PCI device.
>
> Then the code copies the ROM  over itself (memcpy c0000 to c0000).
> This is probably not harmful, but definitely not needed, and quite
> wrong for real hardware.
>

>> Also I believe you need a patched vgabios-cirrus.rom for qemu.
>
> I have the patched vgavios. This was all working for me a few weeks
> ago. This problem is something new, and I'm not sure what.
>
> Interesting that it works on real hardware!

Here is the output on real hardware:

On mainboard, rom address for PCI: 00:02.0 = fff00000
PCI Expansion ROM, signature 0xaa55, INIT size 0x10000, data ptr 0x0040
PCI ROM Image, Vendor 8086, Device 3577,
PCI ROM Image,  Class Code 030000, Code Type 00
copying VGA ROM Image from fff00000 to 0xc0000, 0x10000 bytes
Real mode stub @00000500: 434 bytes
Calling Option Rom...

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux