[coreboot] Via EPIA-N(L) C3/CN400 Support - Help Wanted

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 23:09:15 CEST 2009

> I'm currently working on porting coreboot to the Via EPIA-N(L) i.e.
> C3/CN400/VT8237R/Winbond SuperIO.

> I'm a fairly competent embedded systems designer/coder, and I'm aiming to
> get to the point where I can use the EPIA to run a small linux kernel and
> custom service from flash to act as a data logger from a custom perpheral to
> a SATA disk.
> I'm not NDAd with Via (spent months trying to do this and gave up  after
> getting the run around for so long)  but have aquired some data on the CN400
> that has allowed me to get this far. I don't have the BIOS Porting Guide,
> which suspect would be quite illuminating, if there is anyone out there who
> does have this and could review/correct my code for errors I'd appreciate
> it.
I'm not the right person for that, but hopefully this will help a little anyway.

> I've got to the point where I have flashrom programming the board, I have a
> working build environment for V2 which is running the early romcc compiled
> code and seems to have done the CN400 meminit stuff OK, near as I can tell I
> am able to access SDRAM OK from romcc code (the early serial stuff is up and
> running OK, and i can get debug out that way), but I'm getting strange
> things happening when jumping to copy_and_run_core.

A log file would probably be helpful.

> I think that the basic problem is a linking/location problem.
> Options.lb doesn't seem to let me turn on print_spew in the gcc code but
> works OK in the romcc code, and

> the .map file looks suspicious to me with
> loads of constants all defined at the same location.

It's probably fine, but you can compare with the map file of a working
board to see what it looks like.  There are several constants defined
at the same location, and the build process will usually fail if
they're wrong.

> I'm happy to do the leg work if someone can give me a steer into how all of
> etc. relate to the linking and location of code. I'm finding this a bit
> impenetrable at the moment.

Have you seen this page?

You probably want an image that only contains fallback, which makes
life simpler anyway.

Have you played around with qemu?  It has a single image solution
implemented with CBFS (which is new) or you can go back a few
revisions to before CBFS.