[coreboot] Hosed ms-7032, I foolishly flashed the bios with a .700

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Jun 11 12:20:58 CEST 2009

Hi Phil,

On 11.06.2009 11:49, Phil Neary wrote:
> Hi all, I'm not really sure how this works, I'm guessing its a bit similar to a forum, but in lieu of creating threads and posting posts, you email instead?

Correct. Please make sure to use the "reply to all" button in your
mailer. That will ensure the individual developers and the list see your
mails.

> [...] I messed up when flashing my bios and flashed it with A7032VMS.700 instead of a .rom or a .bin.

Which application did you use for reflashing? In theory, the
A7032VMS.700 may just be a renamed .bin file.

> [...] I tried the AMIBOOT.ROM recovery with the .700 and a few other bios' for my board [...], but they haven't worked.[...] I was able to get the backup.bin from my hard drive

Actually, the backup.bin may be key to reviving your board.

> and tried renaming it AMIBOOT.ROM and saving it to floppy, but Fedora named it amiboot.rom[...]. Does Amiboot have to be capitalized?

AFAIK DOS doesn't care about name capitalization.

> Is there anything I haven't tried yet?

It all depends on how adventurous you feel.
Can you try to locate the ROM chip on your board and peel off the
sticker? It might look similar to this:
http://www.coreboot.org/File:Plcc32_chip.jpg and it is probably in a
socket. Write down all text you see on the chip (not the sticker) and
mail it to us. Then we can tell you which chips are compatible and how
to recover.
One way to recover is to hotflash the chip in another board with
compatible flash bus (sounds complicated, but once we know the chip
model, we can tell you which boards are compatible). That would save you
the hassle of buying a new chip.

> I can get a replacement chip for a fiver, but before I do I'd like to find out if that will defiantly work?

It should work, but it's not guaranteed. Ah yes, and there is the risk
that your onboard network won't work anymore if you buy a preflashed
chip because sometimes the old chip stores the MAC address of your
onboard network card.

How experienced are you with Linux or *BSD? Our emergency recovery tools
don't work under Windows (well, very old versions of our tools work
under Windows).

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--