[coreboot] Hosed ms-7032, I foolishly flashed the bios with a .700

Morgan Reed morgan.s.reed at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 14:51:47 CEST 2009

Resending, CC to the list.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 22:08, Phil Neary<philneary at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> My thought was to purchase another chip and 'kind of' place it on top of the other chip, but I'm not sure how this would go? I'd hope it would be a little like hot flashing, and the good chip would be recognized by the CPU and I could boot-up. It would then be a case of removing the new chip (making sure the bios is set to cashable first) and refashing with my backup.bin. But I don't know the 'bad' chip could interfere with it booting and cause it not to work. Another thought is this computer has something in the bios about 'booting' 'rom' and 'lan' I haven't fully looked into it yet, but if its what I think it is, its something to do with booting over a network, is it possible to do this with a CPU that has no bios?

I assume you're intending to use a chip programmed elsewhere with your
backup image?

I doubt your suggestion would work, I don't know enough about LPC
(your BIOS is an LPC type ROM as opposed to Parallel Flash or SPI) to
say for sure but in the case of a parallel ROM you could do it if you
lifted the "Chip Select" line off the board and connected that to the
"top" chip you'd have a chance but I suspect in the case of an LPC
you'd be better off desoldering the chip and replacing it with a
freshly programmed one (or better yet, replace it with a PLCC socket
to save you trouble in the future.)